What is impingement?
When the structures (muscles/tendons/bursa) around the shoulder get pinched and/or inflamed between two bony surfaces.
• Repetitive overuse movements e.g lifting, throwing, pushing and pulling movements
• Overloading the shoulder, e.g. lifting heavy objects
• Poor posture and weak shoulder, neck and back muscles
• Traumatic Injury namely, motor vehicle accidents, falls and sports injuries
Signs and Symptoms
• Pain in the front or side of the shoulder
• Pain radiating down the upper arm
• Weakness or limited shoulder movement (e.g. raising your arm or putting your arm behind your back)
• Clicking or catching pain in the shoulder area
• Education: correct sleeping and working positions.
• Pain/Inflammation: Taping the shoulder, gentle mobilizations, electrotherapy such as laser or ultrasound
• Range/Mobility: joint mobilizations, soft tissue release and
• Strength/Function: shoulder blade stability and progressive function relating to sport and work tasks
Want to learn more about how you can alleviate shoulder pain? Visit our location or book your first appointment here!