Gardening is one of those activities that can be both relaxing and energising. A pleasant form of exercise, combined with the satisfaction of growing your own flowers, fruits and vegetables, makes gardening a favourite hobby for many people. However, in order to get the maximum benefits from this therapeutic activity, one should observe a few basic precautions.
- Wear a hat. Preferably one with a wide brim. This can prevent sunstroke and sunburn on very hot days.
- Wear gloves. Most people do, but make sure your gloves are thick and fit properly. Thin fabric will not protect your hands from thorns and sharp objects.
- Don't forget the sunscreen. Being in the sun for too long can cause melanoma or skin cancer. Protect your skin with a good sunscreen.
- Stay hydrated. Don't be so enthusiastic about your gardening that you neglect to drink water. Keep your water bottle handy and sip whenever you feel thirsty.
- Wear proper shoes. Protect your feet from environmental hazards by wearing closed-up shoes with thick soles. If you are diabetic, consult your physiotherapist regarding the right type of footwear.
- Save your back. Avoid excessive bending while tilling or sowing. There are many tools on the market with long handles that make bending unnecessary. When sowing seeds or planting, a garden bench or kneeling cushion makes the job much easier. Some of these benches come with wheels so you can transport heavy bags, pots etc. and avoid lifting.
- Observe proper body mechanics. If you must lift, use the large muscles in the front of your legs and bend your knees, not your back.
- Warm up and cool down. Warming up exercises before gardening will prepare the muscles and help avoid muscle sprain. A good stretch after gardening helps to relax the muscles and remove the kinks from hours of sitting, standing and bending.
- Take regular breaks.
By following these safety tips, you can enjoy many pleasant and fruitful hours of gardening and maintain a healthy level of fitness.
This website is intended to be an educational resource of information. Please note that not all of the techniques described are offered at this location. Please call 778-574-1919 to find out what services we can offer you. We do not warrant or represent that the information in this site is free from errors or omissions or is suitable for your intended use. We recommend that you seek individual advice before acting on any information in this site. We have made every effort to ensure that the information on our website is correct at the time of publication but recommend that you exercise your own skill and care with respect to its use. If you wish to purchase our services, please do not rely solely on the information in this website.